02 septiembre 2006

Me and my bike

Hej!

Well, I think everybody knows Sweden is one of the countries more concerned about sustainable development. They use more than 20% of renewable energies, and they recycle almost everything. It's very common to buy all kind of recycled paper, and all the bottles and cans are returnables... fuck! even the Powerade plastic bottle is returnable.
This causes some funny situations, because, by instance, you can find drunk people searching in the rubbish for cans and bottles to get the sad 5 or 10 €-cents they give you for them.

A lot of people rides a bike here. Yes, despite the cold, despite the rain and despite this fucking city is all up'n'down, lots of people rides a bike. And lots of people uses the public transport. That's another funny thing. I'm spanish, and although I always drive, I've had some experiences with the public transport... so you go to the bus or tram stop and you sit to wait. And there's nobody else in the stop. Time goes by. And 20 minutes after you arrived, starts to get there a lot of people, and in two minutes the tram or bus is there. Just in time according to a timetable just behind you that says at what exact time each bus or tram will stop in each station. Yes, just the same as in Spain!! So now I have this little timetables of the ones that can bring me home. But, fuck, I still miss my car!!

But I'm going of at a tangent. I wanted to talk about my bike. The other day, talking with my chinese neighbour, she told me that she had a bike, but never used it, so she wanted to sell it. Allright, I said, for me. Even if it's a bit girlie. Who cares?
So I have a bike. With gears, but with a basket. Funny, eh? It doesn't brake very good (I mean, it brakes, but one of the break-hands (I don't know if this is the proper way to say it) is a bit broken, so I think next week I'll change the brakes. Anyway, most of the money I invest now in the bike I'll get it back when I sell it before going back to Spain, so it's an inversion, not an expense.

So, this is the southern part of Göteborg. Clic in the map to go to google maps if you want to see it better.



I live at the green arrow across the rails, and the other green arrow is where I study, Chalmers, Tekniska Högskola. It looks close, but the way to Chalmers is all up-hill. The good thing is the way back is down-hill. It takes me about to 20 minutes to go to the Campus, and about to 10 to come back. So riding the bike will save me a lot of time, and it will allow me to go out without caring about the night bus timetable.
Anyway, the other day I got lost and I ride one hour and a half to get to a place I was supposed to get in half an hour. Well, next time I'll follow the tram tracks to avoid this kind of despairing situations, at least until I know better the city.


Bueno, creo que todo el mundo sabe que Suecia es uno de los paises a la cabeza del desarrollo sostenible. Más de un 20% de su energía proviene de fuentes renovables, y lo reciclan casi todo. Es posible encontrar todo tipo de papel reciclado (habeis visto alguna vez rollo de cocina de papel reciclado??), y todas las latas y botellas son retornables. Coño, hasta la botella de plástico del Powerade es retornable.
Esto provoca algunas situaciones graciosas, como los borrachillos rebuscando en las papeleras pro botellas o latas, para los tristes 5 o 10 céntimos de euro que consiguen.

Mucha gente va en bici por aquí. A pesar del frío, a pesar de la lluvia y a pesar de que esta puta ciudad es todo cuestas, mucha gente va en bici. Y mucha gente usa el transporte público. Eso también es gracioso. A pesar de que siempre conduzco, alguna vez he cogido el bus, así que llegas a la parada y te sientas a esperar, como en Zaragoza,... y no hay nadie más en la parada. Pasa el tiempo, y cuando ya llevas 20 minutos ahí, empieza a llegar un montón de gente a la vez, y dos minutos después llega el bus o el tranvía, justo a la hora que pone en el cartel que acabas de descubrir a tu espalda, y que dice a qué hora exacta parará en cada estación. Claro, igualico que en Zaragoza. Joder, echo de menos mi coche.

Pero me estoy yendo por la tangente. Quería hablar de mi bici. El otro día, hablando con mi vecina china, me dijo que tenía una bici que no usaba nunca y que quería vender. Así que le dije que yo se la compraba, aunque tuviera cuadro de chica. Que más da.
Así que ya tengo bici. Es de montaña, pero con cuadro de chica y cestita. Reiros, pero lo de la cestita me va a venir de puta madre para ir al supermercado. No frena muy bien que digamos (vamos a ver, frena, pero no se clava. Y yo quiero que se clave. Una de las manetas de freno está un poco rota y creo que cambiaré los frenos). De todas formas, la mayoría del dinero que invierta en la bici ahora lo recuperaré cuando la venda antes de volverme, así que es una inversión, no un gasto.

El mapa de ahí arriba es la parte sur de Göteborg. Si haceis clic podeis ir a Google maps i verlo mejor.

Yo vivo donde la flecha verde al otro lado de las vías, y la otro flecha verde es donde estudio, Chalmers Tekniska Högskola Campo de Nabos. Parece cerca, pero el camino es todo cuesta arriba. Lo bueno, claro, es que la vuelta es cuesta abajo. Tardo unos 20 minutos en ir y unos 10 en volver, así que lo de la bici me ahorra bastante tiempo, y, lo más importante, puedo salir por ahí sin preocuparme de la hora a la que sale el último bus nocturno.
De todas formas, el otro día me perdí y me costó una hora y media llegar a un sitio que debería haber llegado en media hora. La próxima vez seguiré las vías del tranvía para evitarme situaciones deseperantes como esa, por lo menos hasta que me conozca un poco mejor la ciudad.

No hay comentarios: